Objective 620.2.2-02: Discuss ways in which cultures and social groups are similar and different in order to understand how to assist students in developing cross-cultural competence.
Objective 620.2.2-08: Explain the factors that contribute to the lifestyles of various peoples and that determine both their uniqueness and their interrelationships in a pluralistic society.
Write an essay (suggested length of 6–8 pages) in which you compare and contrast two cultural groups living in your area. In your essay:
A. Include an introduction for your essay.
1. Include a statement of purpose.
Note: A statement of purpose is a sentence that states what groups you intend to investigate and discuss. It also introduces what aspects of the cultural group you will discuss. A statement of purpose acts as a guide so that you will read and take notes only on what you will need for your paper.
B. Use at least two secondary sources for each cultural group.
Note: Look for different types of sources (e.g., textbooks, research papers, library monographs, brochures). None of the sources may be an encyclopedia.
C. Use at least three primary sources for each cultural group.
1. At least one of your primary sources for each cultural group must be from the Internet.
2. At least one of your primary sources for each cultural group must be a government or public policy source (e.g., census information, U.S. Supreme Court documents, U.S. Department of Justice documents, Civil Rights Division documents).
Note: Do not merely use an author’s description of any official documents. You must cite the actual document.
Note: Interviews may be used as primary sources. Cite the interview by using an in-text citation: (personal communication, Month, Day, Year) [primary]. When using interviewes as primary sources, cite the source in the essay, but DO NOT cite the source in the reference list. The source will still count as a primary source, but APA does not list interviews in reference lists.
D. Discuss the information you found on the two cultural groups you selected (use headings to break up the information).
1. Explain the factors that contribute to the lifestyles of these cultural groups.
2. Discuss how the cultural groups are similar and different. (Be sure to discuss language, important traditions, socioeconomic factors, politics, etc.).
a. Provide specific examples of how the groups are similar and different (e.g., customs, roles of men and women, family structure, language, proxemics, etc.).
3. Explain how the characteristics of each cultural group affect schooling and education.
4. Explain at least three ways the information you learned from this research could be applied in your classroom and in your teaching practice.
5. Explain how you could use this research to assist students in developing cross-cultural competence.
E. When you use sources, include all in-text citations and references in APA format.